STYLE ON A DATE!
someone ever invented a magic fashion wand or a foolproof manual
of dating rules for singletons, they'd be very rich indeed. Until
that happens, what you can do is take heed of some style advice
that will ensure you look your very best on your first date, and
give yourself every chance of successfully negotiating date number
What is style?
Style is quite simply wearing what suits us - and anyone can
learn how to dress for maximum dating success. Personal style
is not about designer labels, the latest celebrity trend or must-have
accessories; it's simply about having the confidence and self
awareness to make the very most of what you have. It's about concentrating
on the good bits, to help you arrive on a first date oozing genuine
appeal and confidence.
Style tips for women
Never be tempted to use hairspray: it looks naff, smells horrid
and your date will get an unpleasant surprise if they touch your
1. Remember, less is more when it comes to looking alluring, you
want to look mysterious, not downright cheap.
2. This is not the night for long red nails or bright red lips;
they're both too obvious a sign to a man that you are interested.
3. Wear discreet jewellery, not masses of gold - he won't understand
the fashion irony of the St Tropez chic look.
4. Looking too trendy is also a bad idea. Your best friend might
be jealous of your outfit, but your date may find it plain scary.
5. Use a colour corrector (green coloured foundation) as a base
if you are prone to blushing or flush when you drink alcohol.
6. Never try and shop for a new outfit on the day of the date;
life never works like that, you will get increasingly stressed
and rarely will you find your dream outfit.
7. Make sure you wear a bra that fits you properly and feel confident
showing off a hint of cleavage. It's amazing how many women wear
the wrong size and it shows.
8. If in doubt, think Meg Ryan rather than Madonna - a mysterious
feminine look is a definite winner with most men.
Style tips for men
Leave your comedy clothes in the wardrobe, T shirts with slogans,
cufflinks that are clocks, ties with cartoon characters... please
just don't go there. It never amuses any woman.
1. Don't wear a suit if you don't feel comfortable in it. Looking
uptight and constantly fiddling with a choking collar is a real
2. Do wear smart separates that look like you have made an effort.
Trying to look like you haven't bothered is insulting to your
date, and is arrogant in the extreme.
3. Make sure you wear deodorant - underarm patches are never a
good look and are more likely to appear when you are nervous.
4. Only wear sandals if you have good feet, it's amazing how many
women can go off a potential lover when they see a pair of yellow
5. Don't show off your tattoos, a lot of girls these days do love
them, but some don't, so play safe and save them for a showing
on a later date.
6. Never try and impress your date with inside fashion knowledge
if you don't know what you are talking about. There is always
a chance she will know more than you and see through your act.
7. Have the confidence to give your date a compliment on what
she's wearing. Every woman likes to know that her effort has been
appreciated, even if you dislike her outfit, find one thing to
focus on and be complimentary.
Definite date dos
* Do have clean hands and nails, we all notice hands and grubby
is a turn off.
* Do have a snack before you go out to curb the hunger pangs,
settle butterflies in your tummy and stop your first drink going
straight to your head.
* Do choose just one area of your body you are happy to reveal.
* Do make time to wash your hair, it always shows if you haven't
* Do remember less is more in every respect on a date, be it bronzer,
aftershave or jewellery.
* Do wear clothes that fit properly; spilling out of clothes that
are too small looks plain awful.
Definite date don'ts
* Don't start drinking when you're getting ready, you'll arrive
* Don't wear clothes that aren't appropriate for the chosen venue.
* Don't dress like a totally different person from the way you
* Don't take over the top presents with you - flowers or a small
gift the day after the date would be better.
* Don't reveal intimate secrets or draw attention to defects,
real or imagined.
* Don't wear too much jewellery - it just looks tacky.